Monday, July 20, 2009

Where Creativity and Foolishness Meet: The Music Video



I appreciate good videos.

I can appreciate Common, Maxwell, Musiq Soulchild, Erykah Badu... all artists who put effort into their music videos and seemingly, their music. Even Kanye, with his eclectic style of music, will make 2 or 3 music videos...if not to be different, at least to be happy.

Now as a disclaimer, this post is NOT about the "video girls" in videos, because as a realist, I understand that some songs are clearly for the club and you're going to throw in some "eye candy". But as a whole when the music video does not match the SONG, regardless to what type of music it is - Rap, R&B, Rock, Pop, Alternative, you name it - it's a train wreck to me.

Generally speaking, the lackluster performance and thought, or lack thereof, that goes into music videos these days is really unforgiving. Especially when we have the technology to really do big things. And I'm not discriminating. I'm pretty tired of seeing Beyonce dance around in spandex and pumps for the entire video. It was cute when she first did it for Diva, but Single Ladies, and Ego too? Do something different.

Look at some songs that had the videos to match:

COMMON - Come Close

MUSIQ SOULCHILD -



ALICIA KEYS - Love me like you'll never see me again




These are just a FEW, but the point is if you put some thought into your music, you SHOULD put some thought into your videos. *Note to the artists: Videos can sell what the music doesn't.

But to each his own...and to each his own opinion, so share yours.




1 comment:

Nikita T. Mitchell said...

I agree wholeheartedly. Nice post girl.